Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December 3: Internet Conspiracy

Sometimes the internet is out to get me.  Today was one of those days.  Anytime I would send an email from my UGA Mail from my phone it would not send.  This is particularly problematic on a day you have meetings all day. I was out of the office from 8:30am until 4:30pm.  Unfortunately, I also found out one of our international students also suddenly passed away today.  The day was already crazy and not having reliable internet/phone capabilities inhibits the type of service and support I can provide for students.  Any student death is tragic, when it's an international student it's much more complicated.

Keep her family in your thoughts and prayers.  She has one cousin in NY, and her fiance is a UGA student but in China right now.  Moreover, her parents are trying to decide if they are going to fly from China to make arrangements.  There are insurance issues and being halfway around the world and with limited English proficiency, things are difficult.  The university (iSL, student support, academics, students) has really stepped up to help, but we are also limited in certain ways.  

I'm glad Tuesday is over, but I'm also reminded how grateful I am for a healthy body and for another day of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment