Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Government Shutdown

You may be confused about what's going on with the government shutdown...you're not alone.  If you've been on social media recently you've seen all sorts of individuals' opinions on the government shutdown.  Although this isn't the first time this has happened in history, it has very real impact on a variety of people.  The Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program is just one example of a group impacted.  WIC is afraid they may not have enough money to feed people if the shutdown goes on longer than a few weeks.  Many others are being forced to take furlough days, thus they won't be getting paid during this shutdown.  All this to say, just because you may not see the immediate impact on your life, doesn't mean this doesn't have very real consequences for people.

Moreover, the government will have to make decisions on the debt ceiling on October 17th.  Again, there are many thoughts on either side of this discussion, and regardless, there will be an impact.

I'm not sure where I fall on these, frankly I haven't done enough research.  However, my heart aches for those who are deeply impacted by this shutdown, particularly when those in Congress who are battling are not directly impacted.  They still get paid as they are seen as essential personnel.  And I get it...and in the same breath, I don't.

I'm also reminded, again, that I need to do a better job of praying for the leaders of this country!

No comments:

Post a Comment