Thursday, January 23, 2014

January 23: Traveling Woes

Traveling is both fun and frustrating many times.  Tonight I got a call from my sister and somewhere during her travels from Pdx to Houston to Dallas she lost her purse.  She had retraced her steps, gone to security, and her purse was nowhere to be found.  Needless to say, she was in a bit of a panic and rightly so.  How do you get to your hotel without money or a credit card?  You can't rent the car you have on hold, you can't check into the hotel you have on reserve.  You can't do much of anything except panic and pray.  However awful this situation was, she was safe, and it did happen in a city where thankfully I know quite a few people.  I sent a text message to Kalie, Gretchen, and Allison, three former students who live in the Dallas area and asked if my sister could stay with them for the night.  I figured CJ and I could figure out something, but she needed to not be sleeping in the airport.  

All three of them volunteered.  Yes, all three.  I teared up reading the group text messages back and forth about their availability and willingness to help out my sister.  Gretchen seemed to have the best set of circumstances as her roommate was out of the country and had a spare car.  Blessing after blessing.  My sister was able to borrow Gretchen's car to get to work the next morning.  Moreover, I was able to electronically transfer money to Gretchen that she gave to my sister.  Gretchen fed my sister, took her out with her friends, and provided a place of rest and peace during this crazy stressful time.  I am so grateful for each of these women and their willingness to help my sister.  

No comments:

Post a Comment