Thursday, November 14, 2013

November 14: ASHE Conference

The Association for the Study of Higher Education (ASHE) holds its annual conference in November (usually closer to Thanksgiving).  Two years ago, the conference was in Charlotte, NC and Kristin came home with me for Thanksgiving.  Last year, the conference was in Vegas, so I stopped over in Denver for Thanksgiving with Kristin.  This year, since the conference was so early, we won't be spending Thanksgiving together, nor doing our traditional crafts.

Getting to the conference in St. Louis was a feat.  I had only had three hours of sleep (why am I ALWAYS up late before a trip?!), got up at 3am to leave for my flight, and when I got to the airport I realized I had left my credit card at home.  Yep.  Fun times.  This is problematic because I use my credit card as a debit card.  Meaning, I pay off my bill monthly and the money left over (if there is any) goes into savings.  Therefore, my bank account was looking pretty slim and I needed to pay for gas, transportation, food, and the hotel.  

Things worked out…I have gracious parents and friends who all offered to help cover me until Monday when the funds could be transferred back to my checking account.  

This conference is 'paper' conference.  In other words, three people present papers about current research and then a discussant gets up and provides feedback for each paper.  I presented last year and found it both terrifying and encouraging.  One of the first sessions was my favorite because every paper dealt with my dissertation topic.  I learned a lot, but was also confirmed that I'm doing good work that will contribute to the field.


I also got to hang out with a bunch of Baylor people for dinner on Thursday night.  Unfortunatley, I forgot to get a picture of all of us.  But Tiffani (who is at UCLA), JT (who is at Indiana University), Matt (who is a pastor in St. Louis), and the Bullards (who recently moved back to Oklahoma from Cambridge) were all there.  It was a fun time to catch up, meet the babies, and talk about life.

No comments:

Post a Comment