Wednesday, November 4, 2009

$321

I'm applying for doctoral programs at three schools and for four different programs.

Thus far, my running total for graduate application fees, transcript requests, stamps, and additional test scores comes to $321. This will continue to increase as I have yet to pay the $70 application fee to UCLA, purchase another book of stamps, and any other hidden fees I have yet to accrue. (Not to mention costs if I have to interview on campus/visit)

I have heard varying things from individuals as I trudge through this process...

1. it takes a PhD to apply for a PhD
2. If I only knew what the process would have been like, I probably never would have started (referring to the application process)
3. getting there is half the battle
4. the process is meant to make you feel this way, they try to weed people out from the get go

Yet, I'm so blessed to have other people in my life who have recently walked, walking, or just finished this process.

There are so many details and intricacies to each application process that I've been ready to throw in the towel on more than one occasion.

However, I have sent off my recommendation items, applied to the graduate schools, requested transcripts, and test scores.

The next step is to make sure I have my purpose statements finalized and that all the necessary supplemental information is complete for each department.

Yikes.

If you would continue to pray for me. I'm tired, still have lots to do in this process, and often question if this is worth it. But then I remind myself that I don't ever want to do this process again, so I should see it through :)

Thanks for the prayers and encouragement!

1 comment:

  1. Praying for you often!!

    Can I add what I hope is a more positive response to this process than the four responses you've been hearing above? As far as the money goes, you're right, it is expensive, but I think the best perspective is to consider it an investment in your future.

    As relates to the process itself, sometimes I think the process is preparing a person's mental toughness, because this PhD stuff is hard - and applying for the PhD is hard. :) I remember emailing RCC and saying, "If I had known it would be this hard, I might not have tried to apply." And his response was, "You can do it." (seriously, it was that short!)

    You can do it, Shannon. And you will reap the rewards of your efforts. Don't worry about the visit $ right now, all of that will shake itself out once the time is right.

    Praying for you! Tiff
    (p.s. yay for March!)

    ReplyDelete