Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mrs Granger & Mrs Rogers

Today I went to my first auction! There were two households selling at absolute auction. What does this mean? Well, it means everything these two women ever owned was being auctioned off at a house in Beverly Hills...that's Beverly Hills Texas, not California. There were nic nacs, rugs, lamps, electric scooters, and more!
I was really excited to go, however, this morning when I awoke it was raining and almost choose sleep over the auction experience. After breakfast at a quaint czech bakery Monica, Tiffanie, Sarah, Lara, and I headed to the auction. Under the carport and in the back were two auctioneers selling varying items. At first, it was a bit overwhelming and I wasn't quite sure what was going on. However, Lara, a seasoned auction goer, walked us through getting your number and bidding.
I was strangely excited to bid on something and wanted to purchase something just to say I bought something at an auction. However, there were only a couple items I would have bid on. The first went right as we walked to the back. The second was an item Sarah really wanted and I couldn't see biding against her. The third came with a collection of other items that I had no desire to purchase. Lara later told me she will buy things in packaged deals and just make a separate pile that she immediately takes to goodwill (smart thinking). The last item was a beautiful lamp, but 1. I don't need any more lamps 2. I'm trying not to purchase things I don't need in anticipation of a move and 3. it went more more than I wanted to pay.

Oddly enough, being at the auction was a deja vu moment. I'm not sure what it was about it, but it felt strangely familiar.

Although the auction was fun and interesting, it was also thought provoking (strange, I know). Maybe it was because the whole thing was new for me, and it takes awhile to understand the process?! Maybe the realization that two women had recently passed away and this was the families way of settling the estates?! Maybe it was the uniqueness of the people at the auction?! Or maybe it was the wonderment of all the stuff these women had collected over two lifetimes that made me pause and reflect on the value we place on earthly possessions?! Maybe, just maybe, I think too much. :)

In any case, the auction was fun and purchasing something would have been fun...maybe next time. Sarah is now on the mailing list, so between Sarah and Lara, I'm sure to go again.
Sarah and Monica (below) with their treasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment