Saturday, August 31, 2013

Retreating in TN

I have always been better at writing when I have concentrated times to focus.  Now, I've read all (e.g., a few) the books that talk about writing your dissertation a little each day...but that just isn't as effective for me.

About a month ago, I was talking with my dad about the possibility of utilizing his timeshare in Florida for a writing retreat.  After going through options and possibilities, we realized it wasn't going to work.  However, a couple days later my dad got an email about some spots in Tennessee that were trying to get rid of their rentals over Labor Day weekend.

Perfect!

After working out some details, my dad was able to secure a one bedroom condo for my getaway.  Knowing a few others who also needed to do some writing, I invited Kristin and Mallory along.  Kristin (who is working on her PhD at University of Denver) found a flight from Denver to Atlanta and the plan began to come together.

Kristin flew into town on Friday morning, I picked her up and we were headed to Tennessee.  Although no good plan isn't complete without some hiccups, right?  On Friday as I was leaving Athens, I realized I had left the confirmation of the condo at home.  No biggie, just go back.  As I was yet again leaving Athens I realized I forgot something else...

Box of books (check)
Snacks (check)
Directions (check)
Blanket in case it is cold in the condo (check)
Clean apartment to come home to (check)
Backpack with computer & iPad... (ummm, no)

Yep, I really left without my backpack that had my computer and iPad.  How is one to write on a writing retreat without a computer?  No, paper & pencil will not do.

So I turned my car back around and picked up my backpack and hit the road (again).  Needless to say, I was a bit late in picking Kristin up from the airport.

We arrived safely in Fairfield Glad last evening.  We checked in, got keys, and were directed to the concierge.  The woman began asking me questions...

Concierge: Are you over 25?
Me: yes
Concierge: Is there a Mr. Dean?
Me: ummm, no.
Concierge: So you're single. (this wasn't really a question)
Me: (blank stare) uh, yeah.
Concierge: (proceeds to find my name on a list and mark a giant S beside my name)

Kristin and I looked at each other and laughed; not sure why that was necessarily.  After we got settled in the condo, we went to pick up some groceries before Mallory arrived.  On the way to the store Kristin and I both noted that the clock in my car wasn't right.  Strange, we thought.  Kristin mentioned she might have bumped the hour ahead when she was moving stuff into the condo.  We went about our business thinking nothing of it.

Later that evening when we were back and before Mallory arrived Kristin commented....

K: I thought we were two hours ahead of Denver time
Me: We are
K: So why does my computer say 9:11 (still set to Denver time) and your phone says 10:11 (supposedly set to the current time)
Me: Oh my...we're on CENTRAL time.

Clearly, it was the first time either of us realized we had crossed the time zone.  Now, in our defense, Tennessee is divided between Eastern and Central time zone...so it's perfectly logical we didn't know what time it was in Fairfield Glade, TN.

I digress.  Today has been a productive day already, and we're here until Tuesday!  You may be wondering what I'm working on since I recently defended my first three chapters...well, I'm revising based on my committees suggestions, working on my IRB form (which requests the university allow me to actually do research on humans), recruitment emails for participation in my study, and other things related to actually doing my research study.

Now I should probably get back to working on the other tasks at hand, but I needed a mental break.  I'm grateful for my dad's generosity in letting me (us) use this timeshare for our writing retreat!

No comments:

Post a Comment