Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Interim Associate Director Position

Two weeks ago today, I was approached with what seemed like an unusual proposition.  After searching for an Associate Director of Student Life for International Student Life (yep, true title) at UGA, I was told they were going fail the search, reconvene in the fall, and they wanted to know if I'd be interested in serving as the interim for the fall semester.

What an honor to be asked, right?!  But now what?!  Well, I asked for a day or two to consider the offer... and I prayed.  I also talked to wise counsel including a couple friends, my family, and my supervisor, Jan.  Jan, the supervisor who I just love working with, and by taking this position I'd move under different supervision.

I weighed all the pros and cons and as I became more and more excited about the opportunity, my prayer became, "God, if you don't want me to take this, close the door."  I prayed this because I knew there were things that would still need to be worked out (i.e., working and school, and I live on campus...and making sure I could still live on campus).  On Thursday, I spoke with TW (who would be my supervisor) and told him I was indeed interested.  We then got to working on details.  Friday we exchanged the information we found out and came up with many possibilities that just weren't seeming to work out.

The problem is that when you work full time, you have to be on a tuition assistance program (TAP) in order to get your credits paid for.  Apparently, it was going to take the Board of Regents signing off on it to make it happen for the fall semester.  This was clearly not an option.  We then discussed me not registering for courses.  This also was not an option.  We talked about me registered for 6 units and them paying me more to accomodate this.  This ended up being more of a headache too.  Meaningwhile, in talking with others one of my biggest concerns was having time to continue working on my dissertation.  Mallory suggested I try to negotiate for 30 hours a week.  I thought this was a wonderful idea, but frankly, I wasn't sure TW would go for it.

Friday at 3pm, TW and I meet to discuss options and he had an offer.  What he proposed was that they bump my assistantship up from 13 hours a week to 20 hours, I work 30 hours a week, and they pay me the extra hours I work in the fall throughout the spring semester.

I almost sat in awe...but jumped at the offer!  I almost teared up sitting in his office thinking about how God provided this opportunitiy, and the flexibility of 30 hours a week, even without me asking.  Furthermore, as much as it is a wonderful opportunity, and a resume filler, it also is a financial blessing as my car transmission is on the fritz, not to mention all the extra costs associated with my final year of this PhD program.  Again, God provides.

After accpeting, I then went to speak with Jan about it!  The next part is where I really did cry.  After talking with Jan, there was some confusion about how the money would work out.  She trusted TW to be fair, but wanted to make sure I was being compensated.  Long story short, her and another colleague began crunching numbers to make sure what I was offered was comparable to working full time.  For me, the tears came as I realized just how much these people cared about me.  I have loved working with them, and frankly not working with Jan this semester was on the list of cons.  But to see their care and concern for me was moving.  Luckily, in the spring, I will go back to my assistantship and work with them again!

So last Monday, August 12th, I started my role as Interim Associate Director of Student Life for International Student Life.

Little did I know that three days later the division of student affairs would go through a reorganization, I'd get a title bump, and become part of the Vice Presidents leadership team.

But that's another story for another day.

Ephesians 3:14-21

For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! Loved reading this story, Shannon! This is definitely a milestone of faith to look back upon when in times of doubt or trials. Best wishes to you in this chapter!!

    ReplyDelete