Saturday, June 23, 2012

Last Week in South Africa! :/

The last week was filled with lots of wonderful moments and it was the first time in weeks that all 143 students were back together!
Gerard's house where we had class
Monday: 
After class the academic staff went to the Mount Nelson hotel for High Tea! What a wonderful time!
 
Lori, me, and Mallory enjoying our tea and delicious treats (sweet and savory)
Our terrace overlooked the fountain and the grounds
Mallory taking a dive in the fountain
I became the holder of stuff :)
The academic staff (& Lori who we were happy to have!)
The Mount Nelson (from the backside)
The grounds were incredible.
After dinner I met up with some students at Bombay Bicycle. It's a fun restaurant that specializes both in ambiance and local South African cuisine.
Claire, Karishma, Michelle, and me

The chairs were swings hung from the ceiling!
So fun!

Although we didn't sit here for dinner; we got to snap a picture and sit as we waited for our taxi!

The taxi back was packed (21 people!) yikes! But it meant a cheap fare!
Wednesday: Final township celebration
All 143 students and staff headed back to the township for a final celebration. There were performances by both the global lead(ers) and the people from Sun City.  We also had a chance to visit with our family one last time. Each group was partnered with a soup mom or other family during our week.  Ms. Veronica and her family was our South African family for the week.
Emma, Kelly, Emily, Ms. Veronica, Anna Claire, me, and Elena
So sad about the shadow on Samatha's face. These are two of the young women I connected with throughout the week.  Baby Kelly is named after a former Global Leader.  Kaylee and Samantha are both extremely smart and I hope the best for them in their futures!
Thursday:
As we encouraged the students to think more about their transition back home, we did a poverty simulation to help them better understand poverty in the US. 

Friday: 
The reading rebels came and visited with us during class. The program (in Sun City) is supported by Global Lead. It targets students who are in gangs/fighting and hopes to turn them into productive members of society by giving them money in exchange for reading a book a month.  That evening I did some shopping and had dinner at the V&A waterfront.
Last amazing sunset
Friday night was then spent grading blue books!
Saturday: Old Biscuit Mill
Back to Old Biscuit Mill! Delicious latte!
If I haven't talked about the Chocolatire and the delectable homemade chocolate ice cream...there are no words for JUST how good it is! They would even pour chocolate shell on top. Yumm.
Claire, Haley, and me 
I talked everyone into ice cream. They didn't regret their decisions!
I was sad to say goodbye to Old Biscuit Mill, however, I'm sure all the delicious treats contributed to bit of extra weight I brought back with me from Cape Town ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment