Monday, June 29, 2009

Not so typical weekend in Waco!

Last week some friends came into town to play (who will from here on out be referred to as 'the group') . Although none of them were here explicitly to visit me (they were actually all here to visit each other), I was able to join along in much of the fun.

Friday night Sarah and I joined the group at a deep dish pizza place in Hewitt. Yummm. It's definitely a place I will visit again, and, on Thursday nights they have live music. :) From there, we went out to my favorite hide away, Woodway Park. We sat on picnic tables and watched the sunset. Unfortunately for them, it wasn't the best. And actually, it was the most disappointing I had ever seen while at the Lake.
Although the sunset was disappointing, the clouds were in rare form. :)
From there, they humored me on a short walk through the nature trail looking for fireflies. Unfortunately, again, it was quite hot out, and the fireflies were rarely to be seen.

But the night was nice and the company was great!

Saturday afternoon, I went out to the Lake with Megan...again. We stood in the water and memorized words...again. This time, however, we planned ahead and brought our suits! After a few hours of working on words, we headed for a swim. Joking the night before about swimming out to the buoy, I convinced Megan to swim out to the buoy with me. It was a nice little swim...and the water felt fabulous.
Can you see the buoy? I wish I knew how far the swim was exactly. :)
Did I mention when we first got in, we saw a snake in the water?! Yay for adventures!

Saturday night the group had a wedding and I met up with them after. Many, many laughs were shared and some fun memories were made!

Sunday morning was church and in the afternoon I headed to the theatre to see the 3-D movie UP with the group (plus Megan & Sarah)! Although I had heard stories about it being sad, I couldn't believe in the first 5 minutes my eyes began to well up. Don't worry, no tears were actually shed ;). Overall, it was a cute movie and the 3-D adventure was fun. It was my first 3-D movie, and probably not my last ;)
Sunday evening a large group of us celebrated Tiffani's birthday. Tiff is currently pursuing her PhD in Higher Ed at UCLA and has been a great resource and source of encouragement as I've sought to begin this journey into a PhD. After dinner, the group (and Sarah & I) ended up back at the Lake for the sunset and a swim. The second time out to the buoy was a lot easier as the water was calmer than when Megan and I swam out on Saturday afternoon.
Late Sunday night, Sarah and I said our goodbyes to the group as they were heading back to their respective homes the next day.

It was a wonderful weekend full of fun and friends. When people ask me what I'll miss about Waco when I leave, the list isn't that long, but the people are definitely at the top of it!

3 comments:

  1. Yea! Great post Shannon! We had such a great time, we are already trying to figure out how we can get together again! :) I'll definitely let you know if it's anywhere in Texas! Thanks for trying to send me the pics. I saved the ones you posted here, but if there are others, I would love those too. I don't know what's up with my Baylor email... it works fine for me, but several people have told me they have gotten returns. Try this: candicebullard@gmail.com. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me get this straight...you saw a snake in the water and CONTINUED to swim? And if that wasn't bad enough, you went back another day and did it again? You are nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Emily: Shannon didn't even mention the snake to us until we were half-way to the buoy on Sunday night! Hilarious!

    To Shannon: Love the post! I'm hoping to post soon about the week and weekend. I'm glad that you were able to be a part of our shennanigans and celebrations! It was a great great time! Keep me posted on grad school stuff! Tiff

    ReplyDelete