Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Perspective

After writing my previous post, I got in the car and headed to pick up a friend for dinner. A song was playing on the radio. Frankly, I don't remember which one. However, it put things in perspective for me.

My grandpa had a massive heart 'something' (not a stroke and not an attack) my senior year of college, right before graduation. The paramedics spent the entire way to the hospital trying to revive him. The doctors at the hospital continued to try to resuscitate him. After awhile, the head doctor said, let's give it one more try. Miraculously, my grandpa was revived.

He spent the next couple of weeks in the hospital undergoing tests, etc. When my grandpa came to he wasn't very pleased to be here on earth. He told an amazing story about his journey to heaven. Honestly, if it wasn't coming from my grandpa, I'm not sure I'd believe he made a trip to heaven and came back. After moving through frustration and realizing God must have a purpose for bringing him back, he's been a faithful witness of his experience and of God to everyone he comes in contact with.

A couple weeks ago, my grandpa found out he had a mass in his abdomen. After running tests, they found it to be cancerous. The doctors at his hospital don't want to do surgery because of his heart, however, they informed him of a doctor who might be willing at UCDavis.

On Monday, he met with the UCDavis doctor. The prognosis is hopeful. On Friday, they will run a test to see if the cancer has spread. If it has not, then the doctor will preform the surgery to remove the cancer on July 12th. If it has spread, they will try and make him comfortable the remainder of his days on earth.

When my grandpa made a comment about wanting to live, but being content with also meeting Jesus again, the doctor replied, "don't you think God has enough people in heaven and could use you here on earth a little longer?"

My grandpa loves God, but I'm not sure I'm ready to let Him take him yet :)

So listening to the song this evening made me stop and pray for my grandpa. Additionally, the song made me think of the ridiculousness of my last post. I'm not sure God really cares about my teeth or my immunizations, but I do believe he cares because his child cares/worries about those little insignificant details of life.

But even more-so, I care about my grandpa and as I stop to pray for him, I'm reminded that life is a gift, even the seemingly insignificant, frustrating, and stressful parts. :)

2 comments:

  1. Praying for your grampa, Shannon! And for your family, too.

    My old bible study fellowship teacher, Verla, used to say, "What matters to us, matters to God - because WE matter to God." So whatever our worries - and that includes things like shots and cavities and transmission repair - he wants us to talk to him about it and he wants to help us through it. He is not a God only of the "Big Things" - like your grampa's health. But also the "little things" - like making sure your tires hold out until you get to GA.

    Praying for your big move and this new beginning. So excited to be on the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete