Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Extra Expenses

Moving is expensive. There are direct moving costs, Uhaul trailer, gas, hotel, etc. There are also indirect moving expenses like new cleaning products that you got rid of to make space, or a behind the toilet space saver because your new bathroom is going to be 2x2. Undoubtably there are also the fees for school, which is understandable. However, there are also hidden fees and expenses that one doesn't budget into their plan.

Now, I have been blessed. I have only had to purchase 2 boxes, wardrobe boxes to use in my transitional home. Otherwise, I would have been completely supplied with all the boxes I needed (I've accumulated them over the years).

So what are these unexpected fees, you might ask?!

Well.

Oil Change
Tire Rotation
Other car related concerns
Dentist Appointment**
Dr. Visit***
Parking Permit
And other miniscule costs that add up

**Today I went to the dentist. Afraid I may have a cavity in my front lower tooth, I scheduled an appointment before I headed out to Georgia (and lost my dental insurance). So today, she did a cleaning (yay) and even deep cleaned with a waterpik. This of course...not in the budget. AND...after 29.8 years of a clean bill of health, I mean, teeth, she found...cavities. I was in shock. AND, none of the cavities were in the place I thought. :/ She tried to comfort me by saying these are small cavities, the kind little kids get, they aren't really a big deal. No comfort.

On top of that, in talking with a friend who also has thyroid issues, she says her doctor told her to talk a calcium supplement because 1. people with thyroid problems don't metabolize calicum as well and 2. your thyroid can decrease your amount of saliva resulting in less ability to fight cavities...grrr...dentist agreed.

And, to make matters worse, the dentist can't get me in before I leave. So, I'm stuck. My options are...
1. Try and find another dentist here (in the next two weeks) that will fill the cavities
2. Cobra for a couple months so I can get them filled in GA
3. The University has a dental office on campus, after calling them, I found out student insurance doesn't cover basics. However, they said they would work with me to make it as affordable as possible (ie: small cavity may be able to be cleaned & sealed, which is cheaper).
4. Pay out the wazoo for dental care. Boo.

None of these options are great. Anyone have any other suggestions that I haven't thought of?

***Tomorrow I'll be heading to my general practitioner to get immunized. Fun. After thinking I was in the clear, I took a closer look and realized that I need a TB test (for sure) and maybe a tetanus (10 years is up in Aug 2011).

Additionally, if you were born in 1980 or later (great...just make the cut) you have to have a chicken pox vaccine. WHAT?! Well, fortunately, I've had the chicken pox...right, so no vaccine. Not totally...instead, I get to go in for a titer, where they test to see if I've had chicken pox. In some cases, if the chicken pox weren't severe enough, you have to get the vaccine. Crazy.

So all this to say, my indirect expenses for moving & starting school have increased. Not to mention the stress of trying to get all these things done in the next week and a half is adding unwanted stress.

Deep breaths.

Yes, sometimes I talk to myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment