Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Blue Bonnets

Blue bonnets are Texas State flower and every spring they pop up in patches. They can be found on the side of the highway, in front yards, almost anywhere there is grass. These flowers are so prized that if they grown in your front yard, you have to mow around them. They are beautiful flowers, but frankly, I think they are a bit over dramatized.

However, taking pictures in blue bonnets is the thing to do. And so, after living in Texas for almost five whole years, I finally took some pictures in these lovely flower beds. It was a bit awkward, especially as a grown adult, but fortunately, I made my friend Megan Baldree go too. Okay...truth...we stumbled upon them going to the lake and I coerced her into stopping to take pictures :)
This patch was right near the lake entrance. Strangely enough, this couple pulled off to the side of the road to ask if we wanted a picture together (picture above). It was nice. I do enjoy the hospitality of the south, especially in small towns. I also enjoy self portrait pictures and have become fairly good at taking them (below).
As we were getting ready to enter the freeway to head home, we found another large patch of blue bonnets and couldn't resist taking yet another self portrait. In this bunch were also Indian paintbrushes...I know, not culturally sensitive, but that's what they're called.

1 comment:

  1. They turned out nicely! :-) Glad you're able to check one more thing off of your Texas Bucket List....hey, that should be your next post. I'm curious about the rest of the list.

    ReplyDelete