Monday, July 13, 2009

Walking through Nature!

When I arrived in Portland, I created a list of things I wanted to see/do. Not having done many touristy things in Portland, the Rose Garden was on the list. The Garden overlooks downtown Portland and is filled with ... roses. ;) It's beautiful, especially March through June.
There are rows and rows and rows of flowers, it's amazing! It was a beautiful day as well, a nice 87 degrees with a cool breeze.
Leaving my mom to wander in the Rose Garden, my sister and I headed to Forest Park. I found this cute little trail I wanted to explore. The trail followed a creek/river through the park. It was a nice hike. And when I say hike, a more accurate statement would be a walk through nature...yet still something I enjoy!
Right or left, which way to choose?
On the 4th we headed to Multnomah Falls. Back in March, Matt, Sarah, and I tried to hike it. However, with the freezing water, it would have been nearly impossible to get to the top. Going back in July, I realized just how difficult it would have been. The hike is a mile and a half, almost straight up hill (switchbacks). With the icy conditions in March, it would have been disastrous. With great weather, my sister and I made it to the top. It was somewhat disappointing, however, because the view from the bottom and bridge is better than the one at the top. But, now I can say I've done it! :)
We found this fun branch on a tree. It was begging to be swung from...only it was a bit out of reach. But it makes for a fun picture! :)
Here's a picture from the middle of the hike. The river in the background is the Columbia, and the land on the other side...Washington state.

I would include pictures from the top, but like I mentioned earlier, it was sadly disappointing. The time with my sister was, however, enjoyable and we have many fun memories from the hike(s).

1 comment: