Monday, September 23, 2013

Awake & Restless

Every now and then I have restless nights where I cannot sleep despite my body telling me I'm tired. This lack of sleep is usually due to my inability to shut off my brain. Tonight is one of those nights.

I had an unusual incident happen in class where a student (inappropriately) challenged me in front of the class. I've been replaying the choices I had in that moment. Additionally there's lots on my mind with my interim role, a conference coming up, my sister coming in town, an upcoming job search, this dissertation, and a whole slew of other things. It's in these moments when I feel most uncertain that I often find myself inpatient and trying desperately control my circumstances.

It's also in these moments that I pray, often the Jesus prayer.  It's liturgical, centering, and  a prayer of the heart (what Paul refers to when he speaks about praying without ceasing). It's also a reminder of my humanity and God's divinity.

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God
Have mercy on me a sinner.

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God
Have mercy on me a sinner. 

Lord Jesus Christ, son of God
Have mercy on me a sinner. 

...and please bring peace to my mind and spirit.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment